Replacing IDE Ribbon Cables

freaky 18:08 23 Nov 05

Has anybody replaced the Ribbon Cables inside their PC with Round cables. Seems a good idea, tidier and would also improve the air circulation inside the case.

PaulB2005 18:09 23 Nov 05

Yes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 23 Nov 05

Yes, easier to fitin titght cases.

Totally-braindead 18:24 23 Nov 05

Yes I've done it too.

€dstowe 18:38 23 Nov 05

All my machines are fitted with round cables. Far neater if ever you want to delve inside.

freaky 18:44 23 Nov 05

As most, if not all of the Ribbon Cables connect to the MOB - are there any problems regarding the MOB connection, or are they all a standard size ?

keith-236785 18:55 23 Nov 05

Yes, done and dusted, round IDE & Floppy cables along with SATA drive cable make for a tidier case.

all ide connectors are standard size, as are floppy connectors and sata connectors. (unless of course you buy a DELL and they fit a half height cdrom drive which has a totally unique cable system) as i found to my dismay Lol

freaky 19:01 23 Nov 05

Thanks for the info, I will probably go ahead.

Lastly, anybody have any recommended links where they can be purchased please ?

ade.h 20:11 23 Nov 05

Yep, wouldn't use anything else. I had to get mine from PC World during a hurried re-build a few years ago, so I had to pay over the odds. Ebuyer usually has some good choices and cheap prices.

freaky 20:30 23 Nov 05

I first heard of these via an email from Novatech, visited their site just now and they sell them in two sizes 90cms and 45cms. Seems awafully long - the inside of the PC would resemble an octopus!

May pop to PC World tomorrow as ade.h suggested, at least I will be able to change them. Also will give me something to do at home if I cannot work because of the threatened snow!

Regarding PCW, I find you do pay more but they always sell top grade products, and no quibble if there any problems, and no postage charges!

ade.h 21:25 23 Nov 05

Woah there! Save your money. I went to PC World out of necessity at the time; with a non-functioning PC, I couldn't order anything online. You'll save a lot of money if you stick with Ebuyer or similar. For example, I needed a crossover cable this week; £10 from Rip-off World, or 70p from Ebuyer! Even with postage, it's massively cheaper, and the only difference that I can see is that the £10 version has "Belkin" written on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…