Replacing Hard Drive how to reinstall XP

14all 21:56 25 Nov 07

My hard drive on my Packard Bell Imedia 3043 is about to expire so I heed to replace it with a new one.

The problem I can foresee is, my win XP home edition OS was preloaded onto the hard disc when purchased, so I do not have an OEM disk to reload it onto a new hard drive.
Do I have to contact Microsoft? or is there another way to load or transfer the OS onto the new hard drive, I do have the product key and other documents that came with the computer.

The Imedia tower has only one space for a hard drive and the ribbon cable has only one connector, which is attached to the original drive, if its possible to transfer the OS over to a new drive how do you connect them together?

I know it doesn’t sound like I know much about this procedure but I am on a tight budget and cannot afford to get it wrong, so would appreciate any help from more knowledgeable forum members

paul€ 22:09 25 Nov 07

Download the manufacturers software from the makers of your new hard drive. You want the one that clones the hard drive. have this installed on the computer.

Undo the ribbon and power cable from the optical drive on your computer ( cd drive ). Plug the cables into the new hard drive.

Start windows and then use the software to clone every thing over to the new hard drive.

When done. Take out the old hard drive and attach the new one. Re-connect the optical drive.

The new drive will then be an exact mirror image of the old one.

paul€ 22:14 25 Nov 07

Back up all your important data.

Download all the drivers from the PB web site and write to disk or usb pen.

Borrow a windows disk that marches your operating system. e.g. xp home

Disconnect the old hard drive and install the new one. Set the computers bios to boot from cdrom and insert the windows disk. let windows load and when it asks for the serial code, put in yours.

let windows finish loading and the load all your programs. Load all your important data and load the drivers.

If you have to ring microsoft to re-register the O/S, tell them that the hard drive gave you a S.M.A.R.T. warning so you have installed a new drive.

14all 22:19 25 Nov 07

Thanks Paul

Do I have to set the new hard drive to slave while transferring?

It also sounds like I have to stick with the well-known manufactures to get this type of software?

paul€ 22:27 25 Nov 07

You say the present hard drive has just one connecter and presumably the optical drive has just one.

If this is the case, just leave the jumper setting on the hard drive to what it is, usually master. That way it will not conflict with the other IDE channel.

Thats if you go the clone way.

'It also sounds like I have to stick with the well-known manufactures to get this type of software?'

They do give you free software to clone the drive. have you got acronis true image software? This software is very good and will do most things automatically.

14all 22:40 25 Nov 07

Paul Thank You for all your help

I havent got acronis true image software, but now, I can look into all the info you have posted and of course go and by a new hard drive.

Cheers 14all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017