Replacing Hard drive - BIOS will not recognise

spindlefox 13:14 23 Jan 05

I am replacing an existing 12GB drive with a new Seagate 160GB drive in my ageing (1999)HP Brio P3. Whilst I can format this drive OK (as part of the Win2000 install or using a Seagate disk tool)I cannot boot from it. I think the problem is with the BIOS, it will not 'see' the new drive, even when using auto detect, but I am not sure how to go about upgrading it (if indeed this is the problem).
The BIOS is from Award version HW.27.01 (QHW.01.01) 3/01/99 on a HP Brio BAx system board D76xxA.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 23 Jan 05
  spindlefox 13:51 23 Jan 05

Thanks Fruitbat - can I take it you agree with my diagnosis? Also how do I install a BIOS upgrade, do I need any additional software other than the actual update?

spindlefox 21:55 23 Jan 05

Update - successfully updated BIOS to latest available for my PC but to no avail - still will not see new drive. Any other ideas? Or do I need to invest in a newer motherboard / processor to use this drive?

phono 22:41 25 Jan 05

Have you tried the drive capacity limitation jumper and drive overlay software to "fool" the BIOS?

See the Seagate site for more information.

spindlefox 20:15 26 Jan 05

Yes - with the jumper set to limit the drive size the BIOS did see the drive, but for some reason only as a slave (it is the only drive)! I have also tried the Seagate drive overlay software but with no joy

phono 20:30 26 Jan 05

Have you thought about an internal PCI IDE card? Although unless your BIOS allows you to alter boot options etc it you may not be able to boot from it, do some research on the Internet.

JonnyTub 20:36 26 Jan 05

try entering the hd info into the bios manually, i.e. cylinders, heads, etc, it should all be there on the hd itself.

spindlefox 20:44 26 Jan 05

Thanks all - I will give it a go

phono 20:53 26 Jan 05

Had a quick look on the Internet, there is an internal IDE controller at this link click here

From customer comments it appears that this card has an onboard BIOS and as such I think it should allow you to boot from it.

I'm not saying you should go ahead and buy this card but it is an example of what is available and perhaps if you contacted them they could confirm whether or not it would sort you out.

spindlefox 20:58 26 Jan 05

thanks again phono

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…