replacing hard drive

archerman 16:58 20 Feb 03

Can anyone help?
I want to fit a new 20gb hard drive to an old compaq pc running windows 98 the present drive is a 2gb. how do I go about doing this.

medicine hat 17:32 20 Feb 03

You could set the 20Gig as the slave drive and transfer all your appz and gamez to it leaving the OS to occupy the 2Gig drive

briskem1 18:11 20 Feb 03

hey sorry to say this .i had 4.6 gig with a celeron processor tried allsorts/no joy but got a 20 gig at last fitted its a workshop job cost me £30 but got what i wanted what can i say ...

jazzypop 18:16 20 Feb 03

Do you know the make and model of the Compaq?

Are there any identifying marks on the case, or stickers on the back?

archerman 18:42 20 Feb 03

compaq deskpro thats all I know.

jazzypop 18:52 20 Feb 03

click here to determine your current setup. It is not possible to give a definitive answer to whether you will be able to 'see' all of your 20GB drive without knowing the details of your motherboard etc.

The actual generic advice for replacing a hard drive is quite straightforward - click here and click here

archerman 18:52 20 Feb 03

The only info I can find is COMPAQ P200 MMX DESKPRO.
when fitted bios reads 8gb drive not 20gb.

LAMINA 19:10 20 Feb 03

perhaps you should visit the compaq support site
you will need the model number of your's usually on a sticker on the back or inside of the lid. click here
it sounds like you need a bios update

albert108 21:58 20 Feb 03

I fitted a 10 gig HD into a Compaq 166MMX.(previously had 2 gig HD) I had to download a disk management tool from the HD manufacturers site, and run ( to update the Bios) before doing fdisk and format.Now works fine.

northy 23:31 20 Feb 03

i have upgraded my hard drive ,i formatted it after instalation ,and booted from win 98 startup disc,i have came to the a prompt ,and i am having trouble changing to d drive to enable me to load windows,ihave tried d:,d:\>,d:setup,but keep getting bad command.
would be glad of some help so i can proceed
many thanks

Switcher 00:20 21 Feb 03

Try e:\setup D: is the ram drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…