Replacing hard drive....

Dragonfyre 11:36 08 Mar 08

The odd noises my comp is making is, apparently, my hard drive giving up the ghost! I intend to purchase a new hard drive, and hope to install it myself. How do I go about formatting the new drive?Its a Mesh computer, with a IDE/ATAPI interface, for which I gather any good IDE PATA drive will be suitable.
Any advice would be gratefully received. I have a MESH disaster recovery disk, but not a Windows one.
I've copied the C drive to an external hard drive already.

howard64 11:59 08 Mar 08

If you have a prog such as Ghost or Acronis you could save your present hard drive and just run the prog after you have installed the new drive to clone the new one. If not you will have to install the new drive and run your recovery disk which will put the pc back to how it was when it first came to you. Make sure you back up all your data as it will not be there after the recovery disk has done its business.

PA28 12:15 08 Mar 08

You can format the new drive initially through Windows disk management - if your computer is still running on the old drive of course! What I have done in the past is to install a new drive as a slave. Format it in place. Then you can do all the partitioning and copying of files, including your system files. Then you reverse the order Master/Slave to make your new drive the Master, whilst still having the comfort of your old drive available should things not quite go as planned and you need to revisit.

When all is good, then you can remove your old drive completely and lock it in a cupboard as a useful data recovery source if you need it in the near future. Or you can just leave it where it is, as a slave, just in case........

Belatucadrus 12:47 08 Mar 08

May 2008 of PCPro has a free copy of Paragon Drive Copy 8 on the cover disk, makes cloning a hard drive dead easy.

Acx 13:01 08 Mar 08

My Mesh has a hidden Recovery Partition on the c drive (I think this has to present for you to use to use your disaster recovery disk).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…