Replacing exisiting HD

Trepan 15:07 30 Apr 09

I intend to install a larger capacity 500GB HD as my current C drive is approaching capacity (I have a second HD which is used for back ups using Acronis)

So some questions:

1 - thoughts on which make of drive to go for
2 - all the drives I have been looking at seem to be 'open to the elements' whereas my existing drives are 'enclosed' why is this - ingress of dust etc?
3 - I have Acronis Migrate Easy and have read the manual but am somewhat confused as to how to set the jumper connection when installing the new HD?

4 - after I have moved the existing contents of my current C drive over do I change the jumper and will mt PC recognise the drive as C - confused or WHAT!

Technotiger 15:18 30 Apr 09

Hi, you will need to use the Clone option in Acronis. This will easily and automatically copy your old drive to your new bigger drive (and this is exactly what Cloning is for). Your new bigger drive should preferably be in a USB Enclosure for the operation.

You do not have to make any alterations or settings regarding Jumpers.

Simply attach your new drive to a USB port, you don't need to worry about formatting or anything, just choose Clone in Acronis and follow the on-screen prompts - it does not take long to complete. When done you just remove the old drive and replace it with your new drive. Windows will immediately boot as normal, you should not notice any change apart from the capacity of your new drive.

keef66 15:52 30 Apr 09

All the pics of HDDs on websites show the innards for some reason. The drive you get will be enclosed. The tiniest speck of dust in a hard drive can trash it.

I used Acronis to do just that; clone a full 80 gig HDD onto a new 250 gig one. I had them set up as master and slave respectively on the same IDE cable to do the cloning. Afterwards I just removed the old one and set the jumper and IDE connector to master. Now it boots to the new disk and hey presto, 170 gigs of space!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…