Replacing a DVD-ROM drive.

JOHN232 11:55 26 Aug 05

I've come to the conclusion that my DVD-ROM drive has had enough so I'm looking to replace it. I'm not an expert and all I want is a cheap replacement. I've seen a Samsung SD-616BE in Pc world at a ver reasonable price. Can anyone advise how easy it would be to replace my old one......bearing in mind that I'm very much a novice.

Stuartli 12:35 26 Aug 05

Just open up the case, take the power cable and lead off the back of your present drive, undo the screws (retain) and slide the drive out through the front of the drive bay.

Installing the new one is a reverse of the procedure and you won't even need to install any drivers (Windows automatically installs a CDROM driver which will still be available after the switchover).

If not, just reboot your system.

Stuartli 12:39 26 Aug 05

If you have another drive such as a rewriter, you might/probably need to move the small jumper at the rear of your new drive to the Slave position - check the current one for the setting being used.

A rewriter is normally the Master and a CD/DVD-ROM the Slave.

Stuartli 13:15 26 Aug 05

>>bearing in mind that I'm very much a novice.>>

By the way don't worry about that - everyone in these forums was in exactly the same position at some time...:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 26 Aug 05

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…