replacing dvd in evesham pc

spartan 13:23 11 Jan 03
  spartan 13:23 11 Jan 03

Hi thought I had better start new thread I hope I am not taking the p I have broken the dvd drive in my pc and it needs replacing has anyone had to do this before and how difficult is it.is there a schematic or instructions available evesham havent been to helpful. thanks again
spartan

1st RHA 13:30 11 Jan 03

buy new drive, disconnect ribbon and power cable unscrew and pull out drive replace and plug in

Before installing new check jumpers on rear a set of pins with four options, I usually go for cable select, but if on last connector on ribbon it is master on middle is slave. instructions usually come with drive alond with software if needed install on start up, If you can change a plug you can do this!

1st RHA 13:31 11 Jan 03

How sure are you it is faulty and not repairable or is it an upgrade?

djwheeler 13:36 11 Jan 03

Should be fairly straightforward. Will need to got to the inside of the PC (not sure how Evesham allow you to do this, may have to take side panel off or the whole case). The back of the DVD drive will probably have a couple of cable connect to it (a 4 pin power connector, a 40 pin IDE cable and maybe another cable that connects to the soundcard). Pull these cable out and then slide out the DVD drive, you may have to unscrew the DVD drive to do this. Slide in the new DVD drive and screw it in and then connect up the cables. The 40 pin cable will have a notch at the top to show which way it goes, the power cable will be curved to show which way it goes in (the curve will be at the top, don't plug this in the wrong way!). Close up the case and fire the PC abck up - hopefully everything should be OK. Hoep that that all makes sense.

djwheeler 13:38 11 Jan 03

1st RHA put it how I struggled to - in one line!

spartan 13:46 11 Jan 03

Thanks for the answers ,yes the dvd needs replacing ,the dog ran into the tray whilst it was out and ripped the tray off. I think all the panels have to come out on this tower system I think this is why I find iet a bit of a daunting task. I think this means almost taking the whole thing to bits!I hope this helps
spartan

djwheeler 13:51 11 Jan 03

Would be surprised if all the panels need to come out - how old is the system?

1st RHA 13:52 11 Jan 03

I don't know all systems but as spartan says remove side panels or lift off case and remove screws to slide it out of front do not try to enter front or back of case, sides give access.

spartan 13:56 11 Jan 03

djwheeler I tookboth side panels of and you can only access the retaining scews for one side and it does appear that you have to disembowel the whole thing to get the other screw out unles I am missing somthing

1st RHA 14:05 11 Jan 03

remove screws yo can see and try it if not it is never hard or it wouldn't be practical to put together see if plate covering other side is removable but do not go near motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…