Replacing drivers for PCI adaptor

geoff47 13:51 22 Dec 06

I have recently had a problem with my PC and had to restore the whole setup.
The problem now is that I have lost the drivers for my Netgear PCI adaptor.
I went to Netgear's site and found what I thought were the correct drivers, and have tried to reinstall them, but they cannot be found when going through the process as windows reboots and finds the new hardware.
I direct them to the folder that has the drivers, but they are not being installed.
The next problem is I actually think the card is excess to requirements,I appear to have another network card that is working (Idont know now why installed this new card)
Should I keep on trying to install the drivers or just physically remove the card from the PC ?
How would I store the card safely (remembering I have lost the packaging it came in)
Can I just stop Windows finding it everytime it reboots ?
Too many questions ?
Any solutions will be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Diemmess 17:27 22 Dec 06

If as you say some other card/device is working, then by persisting you are going to risk upsetting that as well.

If you are sure the card is not needed then simply unplug it, and reboot.

The likelihood is that Windows will stop asking for drivers for the now absent card.

Store it ideally in any antistatic bag, but I wouldn't worry, it will eventually go into your bin when you find you really don't need it.

geoff47 17:57 22 Dec 06

That sounds the most logical thing to do....I just cant understand why it was living peacefully on the system before I had my little bit of bother.

OK I will take it out....and store it....cost me hard earned cash....and it MIGHT come in useful sometime.

Diemmess 18:20 22 Dec 06

Exactly my thoughts in a similar situation!
Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…