Replacing Dell laptop hard drive with SSD

Ian in Northampton 15:14 25 Nov 14

My daughter is a notorious abuser of electronics, and the hard drive on her laptop just failed. I'm thinking of replacing it with an SSD, which will hopefully give her more reliability. I'm a novice here, though. Anything I should be aware of? What should I be looking for? Anyone have any recommendations?

Woolwell 15:49 25 Nov 14

The SSD will probably be small compared to a hard drive and it will depend on how much data storage she will need for photos, music, documents, etc.

Ian in Northampton 16:22 25 Nov 14

Thanks Woolwell. The amount of storage she needs is minimal, so that shouldn't be a problem.

rdave13 17:15 25 Nov 14

Some tips on how to get the best performance out of your SSD click here.

The Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA is an excellent drive in my opinion but you can get cheaper.

1]: [click here

wee eddie 18:29 25 Nov 14

What OS will the Laptop have?

Woolwell 19:42 25 Nov 14

I'm not sure that it is cost effective as other parts of the laptop are just as likely to be abused.

Ian in Northampton 12:08 26 Nov 14

Thanks rdave. wee eddie: Windows 7 Woolwell: yep, there's an extent to which you're right - she's cracked more mobile phone screens than you can shake a stick at (even phones with Gorilla glass) so the display is vulnerable (and not least because she carries it around by the display... :-( . Coke on the keyboard is another. But: if we can eliminate one possible point of failure...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…