Replacing Dell heatsink fan

Tangy 21:26 12 Mar 06

I recently bought a Dell Dimension 3100 PC & was wondering if a replacement heatsink fan would be quieter. It is very quiet already, but I was wondering if it could be even more quiter.

I have read that some fans could only be heard if you put your ear to the casing. Could that be done to my Dell?

gudgulf 21:56 12 Mar 06

This is the website for you if you are looking to silence your pc.........click here

Along with the heatsink/fan on the cpu you will probably need to consider changing the psu too and any case fans.

As your pc is a Dell you will need to check if it uses a standard ATX power supply or not. Dell sometimes use custom built components that are not directly interchangeable with standard parts.

Tangy 00:06 17 Apr 06

Thanks gudgulf.

I have a further question, does anyone know how to replace the fan, i.e. which screws do I need to unscrew to get to the fan?

terryf 00:10 17 Apr 06

Be aware that you will probably void your warranty (if any).
Try a google with'replace heatsink fan' and you will get lots of hits that may well help you, you need to identify which processor you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…