Replacing CMOS battery

S5W 19:24 02 Oct 04

I think my computer (2.5 yrs old) needs a new battery; the clock is erratic and scheduled tasks don't work. As I have little expertise in the field of BIOS setting would it be possible to change the battery with the computer under power? I understand there would be a risk of frying something but what if I were to be very careful? Does any clued up person have an opinion as to the likely success.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:28 02 Oct 04

To save typing......click here

G

Dorsai 20:15 02 Oct 04

My mobo has two batteries, in one carrier/holder. They are CR2032's. They cost £1.70 each where i work.

As for the procedure to follow when replacing, that has been covered.

S5W 15:18 04 Oct 04

Thanks for your helpful replies. I have read dozens of useful threads on the subject but was unsure as to how to access all the various BIOS screens to write down the settings so that I could re-enter them when I had changed the battery. As is often the case the answer was simple;'read the users manual',this I have done and have successfully changed the battery and reset the BIOS.There is even a picture of the CR2032 battery in the booklet. In future I promise to try and work things out before asking for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…