Replacing CD-RW/DVD

Border View 10:25 31 Dec 03

I have an Evesham 800mgh 128SDRam 30Gz HDD running Windows 98SE. Three and a half years old. It has a Samsung CD-RW/DVD combo. The DVD side wont run Cyberlink and I cant therefore run DVDs. I've decided to buy a DVD player (non computer type) and watch dvds in the living room and to replace my CD-RW/DVD combo with two new CD players. One a CD-RW and an ordinary CD player. I have expansion slots available. Figured this way I would be able to copy from one to another. Never been able to with the combo.

My motherboard is a Microstar MS-6195. Can anyone please advise the type of equipment (part name etc) I need and where to buy them. Either on-line or in the high street.

Your help would be much appreciated

Gongoozler 11:18 31 Dec 03

I have used this LG drive a few times and been very pleased with it:
click here

These are also good drives click here and click here

and if this LG CD-RW really does come with Nero software, then it superb value for money click here

Diemmess 11:24 31 Dec 03

If you choose a good no nonsense CDRW from those already recommended, why not buy two instead of one ordinary CDROM?

That way you load one lot of dedicated software (no interference) and if one drive goes wobbly you have its twin to cross-check?

Border View 15:52 31 Dec 03

Many thanks for your response. Diemmess - like your idea, should have thought about that.

Any suggestions where I should purchase?

Border View 15:55 31 Dec 03

Just looked at your fourth click me and it looks excellent, just the job. Thank you.

Border View 16:01 31 Dec 03

Question - how do I know that the above CD readers/re-writers will be compatible with my motherboard? I appreciate that the answer is obvious to those technically knowledgable, but I am the nervious type.

Stuartli 16:12 31 Dec 03

You won't have any problems using a rewriter...

Why could you not copy with the combo? If you use the image method it should have been easy, only requiring the swapping of the initial disk for a CD-R or CD-RW in between.

Your best bet is a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW or, even better, a DVD rewriter (you can get a +/- one for little more than the - type); getting an8x will help futureproof it for some time.

In this way you keep the rewriter purely for burning and use the ROM drive for copying purposes, audio CDs, installing software and watching DVD films.

A rewriter is nowhere near as robust as a CD/DVD-ROM drive and should be kept for that purpose.

There are dozens of threads on this subject in the forums, so a search will prove enlightening.

woodchip 16:36 31 Dec 03

I would go for a DVD and CDRW as you can then read DVD discs on Mag cover discs. And it will work as a CD-ROM drive. that's what I have on Win98se

woodchip 16:41 31 Dec 03

I have this CDRW click here

and this DVD click here

Border View 09:31 01 Jan 04

Sorry I've just returned to the forum and found your postings. Many thanks for the advice and information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017