Replacing boot drive

Nigel-331402 11:46 09 Jun 06

My C: drive has started throwing the occasional bad sector and/or CRC error so it's time to change it and at the same time put a larger drive in. The disk is currently partitioned into 3 drives (C, D, E).

What is the best way (cheapest?) way of copying (i.e. cloning) my data across ? Will this do just the C: drive or would it do the partitions as well ?

Am I correct in saying I can't do a simple copy as that won't copy the boot data etc. ?

mattyc_92 11:51 09 Jun 06

There are programs such as "Acronis True Image", "Norton Ghost", etc... (most partitioning tools will also copy a drive)

However, you should find a bootable CD-ROM with your new hard-disc which should clone your old drive

Diodorus Siculus 11:52 09 Jun 06

Something like Ghost or True Image will do it for you but I'd prefer to install the new disk and then do a clean install of the OS on it.

Some disks come with a software that allows you to transfer over the existing data, eg maxblast.

terryf 11:59 09 Jun 06

If you get a new (say) 40g c drive and a new d drive as large as you can afford plus an ext usb HD plus acronis, you could make an separate image of each of your drives on to the ext drive, then restore from the ext drive to your new c drive using a bootable cd that acronis makes. install your new d drive an use this for all data keeping only os and progs on c drive. You can restore files and folders from your old d and e drives individually to your new d drive, The acronis images will be about half the size of the original data. This will enable you to guess how big the ext drive must be but empty the recycle bin first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…