Replacing on-board graphics with a graphics card

Barryt 21:53 28 Feb 03

I have a K7VMM mobo with S3 on-board graphics. I want to install an AGP graphics card. Is there a process I need to go through to do this?

For example, do I need to disable the on-board graphics somehow first?

My OS is W98SE.

Many thanks.

mr gee 22:00 28 Feb 03

if you disable the on-board graphics first you could be up the creek without any picture

Philip2 22:02 28 Feb 03

Yes you do there should be a jumper on the mobo you would have to refer to the board manual or if you haven't got one you can as a rule download from there website.
Have you got a AGP socket on the board???your running an old OS.

hugh-265156 22:25 28 Feb 03

in device manager right click display adapter and choose disable the shut down the pc.slot the new card into the agp slot connect the monitor to it and turn on.install the drivers.

froggg 22:29 28 Feb 03

normally you go into bios-(press delete on start up)-search for onboard graphics,enable/disable.disable,then remove drivers in add/remove progs(if listed)after restart.switch off computer-REMOVE power lead,then using static strap insert card,boot up,then install drivers

Barryt 05:50 11 Mar 03

Thanks for all your responses.

In the end all I had to do was fit the graphics card and follow the on-screen instructions. It's too easy these days!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…