Replacing 3.5" drive - will fascia fit back on ?

Shortstop 16:36 05 Oct 06

I am going ahead with replacing my floppy drive as per click here

However, I have had a look at my PC and it has a removable plastic facia with cut-outs for the floppy disk to be inserted, the power/read light to be visible & the eject button to pop out. If I remove this, I am left with a gap to either side of the bay that the card reader will fit in.

I called eMachines & they cannot help as the PC was bought from Currys and bits are added by them, making support only available through DSG but DSG support lines are only for software or hardware issues - and this is neither, so they cannot help. Also the PC is +12m now.

I thought about cutting out a hole for the card reader to fit, but the fascia is curved & I am not sure that this is even possible.

Any ideas how I can get around this?

TIA

Paul

roy 16:54 05 Oct 06

Hi,
How about a USB floppy drive? See here.
click here

Roy

spuds 16:57 05 Oct 06

Have you considered a new case. Ebuyer have a selection relatively cheap.

Usually when you have domed front insert, the hardware fitting into the space is usually flat.

Shortstop 17:03 05 Oct 06

Thanks for the input so far.

roy - sorry, but I think you have misunderstood. I am removing my floppy & adding an internal card reader [I have no use for a floppy disk reader & a lot of use for a card reader - I currently use an external one]

spuds - hadn't thought of that. The floppy is flat and the fascia has the cut outs on its curved front like I said. Might be the way to go.

Paul

DieSse 18:19 05 Oct 06

If you have a spare large bay (type for CD/DVD drives), you can get a tray to hold a floppy/card reader sized device. Example click here

roy 18:29 05 Oct 06

Yes, sorry! I should have looked at your 'click here'. Had thought of a new case but quite a bit of work moving everything over.
Roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…