A replacement video card for the GeForce 8600 GT, please?

Scoodle 15:42 PM 10 Sep 11

My Dell Inspiron 530 has developed a strange starting up behaviour; when I press 'on', the internal fan fires up at full speed for 2 or 3 seconds as usual, but then - just as the fan is about to slow down as it normally does - the computer shuts down completely. A couple of seconds later, it starts itself back up - fast fan, then off again. On its third attempt, it works ok - fast fan, then slow down, BIOS beep, and a normal start.

A search has come up with a failing NVidia graphics card as causing these symptoms in similar computers. I will be trying some tests such as removing the card and checking how it fires up, but, assuming that the card is the culprit, I would welcome some suggestions for replacement cards.

More Tech Info: Inspiron 530 with Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card. Standard Dell PSU which is around, what, 350W?

General use - internet, photo-processing, some web games, etc. nothing state-of-the-art!

All I am looking for is a cheap card that I would hope is better than the original one simply due to the fact it's roughly 5-years old.

Cards like the Radeon HD 3450 are available for around £35 (I did say I wanted 'cheap'!), or the HD 4550 for a fiver more. I've also read reviews on the HIS HD 5450 with 1GB for only £26...

My problem is that I don't know how my original 8600GT compares with these!

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks.

Armchair 16:04 PM 10 Sep 11

At-a-glance graphics card performance comparison chart:-

Looks like your 8600GT is rated just below AMD's current budget card, the HD 6450.

Scoodle 23:16 PM 13 Sep 11

Thanks, Armchair - that's a great link!

100andthirty 06:16 AM 15 Sep 11

I had a similar nVidia card and when it failed I replaced it with a fanless HD 5450 whic continues to do sterling service. I don't play graphics intensive games but for video editing and proto editing I noticed no difference

rickf 09:38 AM 15 Sep 11

I have the nVidia 220 and have not looked back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off