A replacement video card for the GeForce 8600 GT, please?

Scoodle 15:42 10 Sep 11

Hello.

My Dell Inspiron 530 has developed a strange starting up behaviour; when I press 'on', the internal fan fires up at full speed for 2 or 3 seconds as usual, but then - just as the fan is about to slow down as it normally does - the computer shuts down completely. A couple of seconds later, it starts itself back up - fast fan, then off again. On its third attempt, it works ok - fast fan, then slow down, BIOS beep, and a normal start.

A search has come up with a failing NVidia graphics card as causing these symptoms in similar computers. I will be trying some tests such as removing the card and checking how it fires up, but, assuming that the card is the culprit, I would welcome some suggestions for replacement cards.

More Tech Info: Inspiron 530 with Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card. Standard Dell PSU which is around, what, 350W?

General use - internet, photo-processing, some web games, etc. nothing state-of-the-art!

All I am looking for is a cheap card that I would hope is better than the original one simply due to the fact it's roughly 5-years old.

Cards like the Radeon HD 3450 are available for around £35 (I did say I wanted 'cheap'!), or the HD 4550 for a fiver more. I've also read reviews on the HIS HD 5450 with 1GB for only £26...

My problem is that I don't know how my original 8600GT compares with these!

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks.

Armchair 16:04 10 Sep 11

At-a-glance graphics card performance comparison chart:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,review-32251-7.html

Looks like your 8600GT is rated just below AMD's current budget card, the HD 6450.

Scoodle 23:16 13 Sep 11

Thanks, Armchair - that's a great link!

Cheers.

100andthirty 06:16 15 Sep 11

I had a similar nVidia card and when it failed I replaced it with a fanless HD 5450 whic continues to do sterling service. I don't play graphics intensive games but for video editing and proto editing I noticed no difference

rickf 09:38 15 Sep 11

I have the nVidia 220 and have not looked back

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…