Replacement Power Supply Unit - advice please

ArcAngel67 09:20 02 Oct 08

My son has a home-made PC, we are no longer in contact with the maker, and I believe the power supply has gone. He turned it on and got a small bang and now no power seems to be going to the PC at all.

I have been to PC World to get a replacement for the original Power Supply Unit (original - King Year KYP-250ATX) and was given the only one they had (Jeantech PUFF/405). The problem is that the connectors are bigger on the Jeantech and we can't seem to get it to fit the PC. The motherboard plug has 20 connections - 2 rows of 10 - and the Jeantech has more (I can't remember how many more as I have now taken it back to PC World and got a refund). The HDD has 4 connections, as does the CDRW and DVD reader.

Any suggestions on where I can get one that fits the PC. It is quite an old spec PC now, but as he is only 9 I am hoping that it will last him a bit longer before we upgrade him to a better one.

ArcAngel67 09:31 02 Oct 08

When I say 'old spec' it is only about 2 years old but it only has a single Athlon processor and the RAM and HDD are fairly low to today's standards, but it is a good little PC for what he uses it for.

Technotiger 09:42 02 Oct 08

click here Lots of very useful info here, scroll down to Fruitbat's informative entry.

ArcAngel67 10:10 02 Oct 08

Many thanks, Technotiger, I've found the user manual for the Jeantech (oops, forgot to put it back in the box when I took it back) and it seemed to suggest that you could run it on 20 connections, although at £50 I will look for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac