Replacement for MS ActiveSync?

Chris the Ancien 17:58 04 Sep 06

I got myself a nice new sat nav at the weekend. ( Navman iCN 520 from MCN at click here )

And I wanted to load in extra information.

The sat nav people gave me MS ActiveSync to download info to my device. And here the trouble started. When I had downloaded the extra database, I couldn't find a way of 'stopping' ActiveSync, and pulling the plug made a horrendous mess of my sat nav! Took me nearly two hours to sort it! :o((

The second time I reloaded my sat nav, Before pulling the plug, I switched off the sat nav. Still no option to 'stop' MS ActiveSync. However,, this time, I didn't crash the sat nav... fortunately. :o))

Am I doing something wrong?
Or
Is ActiveSync rubbish?
Or
Is there a better way?

Diodorus Siculus 18:04 04 Sep 06

I use ActiveSync 4.1 with my XDA Exec and have never had a problem just unplugging it - turning off the PC would be one option I suppose.

Maybe try a later version of ActiveSync.

Chris the Ancien 18:19 04 Sep 06

Hmmm...

Just had a check.

I'm running v3.7.1. But I'm fairly sure that the 'just unplugging it' caused the damage. The NavMan made some quite peculiar noises! And I'm reluctant to try again. The brouhaha in trying to reload and reset my NavMan was a pain in the proverbial. Hence my seeking an alternative.

And, I'm v-e-r-y curious as to why the 'stop' function was 'greyed out' in ActiveSync. Surely that shouldn't happen?

Minkey1 18:20 04 Sep 06

I got the 530 a couple of weeks ago, and had a problem with the ActiveSync installer supplied by Navman. I stopped it and downloaded the current version direct from MS, like Diodorus' v4.1 I think. Resuming the instal then went fine and I've used the SmartDesktop thingy to copy over Europe maps. On connection ActiveSync comes up but I don't really know what it's for - possibly more aimed at PDA's ? As far as I can see for the device you only need to use SmartDesktop ?

The Navman disconnects fine. Might be worth downloading the latest version of ActiveSync (actually 4.2) via click here ?

Chris the Ancien 18:51 04 Sep 06

I'm downloading 4.2 now.

I'll wait until I've got enough time to make sure I do a full backup of the NavMan and have time to fix crashes (if any) and then try it.

But, as well, if anyone has a reliable alternative application or method, I'll keep the thread open for them.

Otherwise...

TIA

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced