Replacement Monitor

Mastermind 20:09 13 Nov 04

It seems that my monitor has given up on me after less than five years. How long should a CRT last? I'm assuming that it's not worth getting it fixed.

Anyway, it seems that I'm now on the market for a replacement.

I'm not sure whether to get another CRT or a TFT. My main concern is how TFTs perform for gaming. I'm not into First-Person Shooters and mainly play RTS titles. However, I'm not sure how a TFT will perform if the game can't manage the native resolution of the TFT. For example if the native resolution of the TFT is 1280x1024, what if the game's settings only allow up to 1024x768 or even 800x600?

I'm not after anything large as I'm happy with a 17 inch.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Mastermind 20:10 13 Nov 04

Also, the next PC I build may be black, so the colour of my new monitor could be an issue.

Lasse 21:36 13 Nov 04

Sony HS series HS94P with X black technology
Colours are silver and black. 12ms response time and
400cdm 500-1 contrast.

Cook2 00:30 14 Nov 04

Look click here

A 15" TFT is roughly equivalent to a 17" CRT because you lose nothing round the edges.

I find my 15" TFT OK but feel my sons 17" TFT is a little to large for how close I sit to the screen. It's a personal choice though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…