//some 3rd party need geo

Replacement Ink Jet printers

It's Me 17:23 31 Aug 04

Are the new printers so much better than the old ones.
I ask this because my HP DeskJet 950c is in need of some more cartridges, at a cost of about £60. I have tried to use the recycled type but I usually end up with messy problems or no printing at all so I now stick to the Mfgs.
I do a fair bit of photo printing, which I find very satisfying after learning about D & P and dark room work as a part time pro in my long since gone youth. ( I could never afford to do chemical colour printing myself and the PC is the perfect place to fiddle about with photos).
The quality I get at the moment is not bad, and I wonder if the new fancy multi ink ones would be such a great improvement. Spending this £60 as part of the cost of a new one may be a good idea, although perhaps not from the envirenment point of view.
Incidently my 950c is still working fine.
Any comments would be gratefully received.

€dstowe 17:34 31 Aug 04

If you are wanting something similar to D & P processing (i.e. nothing fancy or large format) the best and cheapest way is to take a disc or memory card of your pictures down to your local Boots (I think others may do this as well) and stick it in the machine there. Check on the conditions of use first as there are some very good bargains to be had.

Very cheap to do, good quality pictures. Hardly worh your while doing them yourself.

If you are doing out of the ordinary pictures then dedicated photo printers are definitely worthwhile. Get one with separate ink cartridges.

Pesala 17:51 31 Aug 04

click here for some in-depth reviews of the some great photoprinters (but not too expensive for the home user).

pj123 18:01 31 Aug 04

Don't know where you are getting your ink from at the moment but Choice Stationery do the black for £8.50 and the colour for £13.99 total £22.04. click here

But for about £60 you could buy an Epson C64 (which is the one I have) and it prints brilliant colour prints and borderless as well. click here

Scroll 5 down. C64 from £54 to £72.

Replacement ink again from Choice Stationery click here

fsbb 18:08 31 Aug 04

I was in similar position and purchased Epsom C84 (shop around as prices vary. Normally £99, I paid £69 PC World). Comes with set of 4 ink cartridges (uses separate cartridges) and MGI Photosuit software which is adequate for editing, enhancing etc. Can of course use any sofware.

I use Choice Stationery compatible cartridges which are chipped and pigmented ink currently around £16 full set (Epsoms are around £50). Photo results up to A4 size are excellent.

Simon_P 18:51 31 Aug 04

Since it is cheaper to go to Jessops Boots etc and get prints done for less than you would pay for the photo paper let alone the ink, some lesser known print shops are even cheaper with very good quality.

You can still post work your images on a pc and have the best of both worlds.

6x4 prints from as little as 15 pence

9x6 25 pence

Going larger than that it starts to get more expensive.

Having said that the new inkjet printers are very good but not as good as lab prints (in my opinion)
So I guess it depends on how much you want to do it all yourself, personally I almost only use lab prints now.

jack 19:42 31 Aug 04

All the above applied, 'processing stations'
[DIY machines] are popping up all over [ ASDA even]and if its prints plain and simple thats the place to go.
It is a shame but true the although your old printer works fine, it is 'OLD' and the current range of dedicated machines from the three main makers Epson Canon H-P are light years ahead of machins only a year or so old
Why on some you dont even need a computer.

Ypb be brave get the new machine, I do competion
quality work on my Epson R300.

€dstowe 21:28 31 Aug 04

Trade secret here. Even though my studio works mainly with "real" photographic transparency film, we scan all transparencies now into digital format and take them to Boots to process for proofs. Much cheaper than printing proofs ourselves and quicker too.

We do, of course, work with the original pictures for any further artwork etc.

€d

It's Me 21:59 31 Aug 04

Your replies are exactly what I wanted.
A new printer it will be then.

It's Me 20:47 08 Sep 04

I hope you won't mind my asking two questions, both about the file names use. By that I mean the ends such as .png or .jpg.

Which ones do you use when you visit Boots and which do do use in the studio and which do you use for storage purposes. That's three isn't it!

I've just been doing some printing on my old printer, and at first the results were poor, and it was a while before I realised that I was using some photo gloss paper that I bought cheap, a retailers own. I changed to my normal Ilford and the difference is amazing.

€dstowe 21:26 08 Sep 04

Most of our studio photography, even now, is done on "real" film - usually large format Ektachrome. On location we use two and a quarter square Ektachrome. These act as our masters and reference archive material. After processing, these transparencies are scanned and stored as TIFF and as JPEG. It is the JPEGs that are taken to Boots (I think, I don't do this part myself) and these are the pictures we use for making up story boards and such like. Further graphics work is carried out on the TIFF files.

Quite a lot of our work is large, high quality advertising boards and such like. It may seem old fashioned but we still believe that the best results are obtained from larger format (> 35mm) film stock rather than a digital camera even though we use digital imaging in the final artwork.

The files that go to the printer are in yet another format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…