replacement hard drive for medion all in one pc 3 years old

aidan56 17:49 PM 01 Dec 13

My ST310005 20AS hard drive seems to be dying as it starts to load progs from the desktop then stops then continues for a few seconds then stops again. Sometimes it works properly but most times not. It keeps on like this for ages. If the HDD is dying which model should I replace it with. The HD pushes into a slot in the all in-one-computer, there are no wires or connectors showing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 PM 01 Dec 13

Is this an add on drive or main drive for the PC?

aidan56 22:33 PM 01 Dec 13

Its the main HDD no room for more than one

wee eddie 00:45 AM 02 Dec 13

Sounds like time to consider running the HDD Manufacturer's Diagnostic Software

onthelimit1 08:32 AM 02 Dec 13

Probably a 3.5in SATA plugging directly into the mobo. Easiest to pull it and have a look. If so, then any of the major suppliers Maxtor Western Digital, etc. Just need to choose a capacity that suits your needs.

onthelimit1 08:34 AM 02 Dec 13

P.S. When up and running, you could try running Chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt.

aidan56 08:54 AM 02 Dec 13

Thank you for your advice

I have tried chkdsk /r from elevated command and corrections were made but still behaving the same.

It' a seagate drive so I've tried Seatools software from the seagate website but this doesn't even recognise that the drive exists. It only shows my USB Epson printer.

Yes its a SATA plugging straight into the mobo but the connections seem different to those seen on the photos of replacement drives shown on the WD site.

aidan56 09:09 AM 02 Dec 13

Further to what I've written above the disk is just shown as hard drive in device manager but it used to quote its make and model number. Perhaps when I took it out to check its connections it lost that info when put back in?

However on my backup disk imaging software (macrium reflect) it's still listed in full with all partition particulars shown.

I'm writing this on the machine so it will work when it feels like it.

onthelimit1 11:54 AM 02 Dec 13

It is possible there is an adaptor plugged onto the end of the drive. try prising it gently. A similar setup had me confused for ages on a Toshiba laptop.

aidan56 17:40 PM 13 Dec 13

Very many thanks to you all for your advice. I bought a Western Digital hard drive and it just slotted in. Everything seems to be OK now so fingers crossed this topic is closed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 review: Hands on with the £239 OnePlus Two '2016 flagship killer'

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…