Replacement hard drive

S5W 14:11 17 Nov 06

I know I am not a beginner but I am pretty shaky on this subject. Will a Windows XP recovery disc load windows onto a brand new hard drive if no other changes have been made to the computer? The old HDD is to be scrapped.

HondaMan 14:27 17 Nov 06

It should do. I think they are linked to the BIOS and that will not have changed.

Can you not clone the HDD using Acronis or something similar?

wee eddie 15:57 17 Nov 06

There are 3 solutions to your problem.

1. To buy a new HDD and a copy of Windows.

2. To contact the Manufacturers and get a replacement HDD with the OEM Windows on it.

3. To buy a new HDD and send it to the Manufacturers where they will install the necessary partition on it. The process is, I believe, called Tattooing.

The cheapest option is to find the old HDD, you might still get the Recovery disk to work.

S5W 16:52 17 Nov 06

Thanks to you both. I shall try the simple HondaMan solution first and if I get no joy I'll do a wee eddie no.1.
I am going to give the old computer to a charity but I am concerned that my personal banking and other details may be compromised if it is misused.

wee eddie 23:32 17 Nov 06

Read the threads about charity gifts here.

There may be (or almost certainly is) software that will clean/overwrite your files on the old HDD while leaving the hidden partition intact.

If you cannot find the details in another thread, start a new one of your own on that subject.

ed-0 00:05 18 Nov 06

Kill disk free will do all you ask. Load it onto a floppy and run from boot up.

Just make absolutely sure the drive sector you choose is the one with windows and not the restore partition. Apart from that, it's easy.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac