Replacement front panel usb socket needed

GrahamP 17:11 13 Feb 07

I need to replace my front panel double usb socket. Does any one know where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks.

woodchip 17:31 13 Feb 07

This at Maplin click here

And click here

click here

GrahamP 17:51 13 Feb 07

Many thanks for your reply Woodchip. I'm afraid I wasn't explicit enough with my query. It's not a drivebay hub/panel I'm looking for but a replacement for the socket integrated into the front panel. It's a small vertically stacked double socket similar to the ones soldered onto the rear of motherboards but with wires soldered on to connect with the motherboard header.

Obviously the drivebay would do the job but I should be able to find someone selling a connector. I'm just having trouble sifting the wood from the 4 million or so trees that Google returns.

woodchip 17:56 13 Feb 07

I damaged mine, You cannot get them. They come with Case. I fitted a Combo front Panel

GrahamP 19:17 13 Feb 07

It looks like your right though obviously the case makers can buy them from somewhere but possibly not in this country.

I imagine I could prise one off an old motherboard and solder the leads on but it's a lot of trouble. Maplins here I come.

Spark6 19:50 13 Feb 07

I think I may have what you're looking for on a 1998 vintage Packard Bell. I'll look at it in the morning, in my garage and it's raining at the mo, and post back.

GrahamP 20:38 13 Feb 07

Thanks Spark6, that's very kind of you.

Spark6 11:25 14 Feb 07

Slight correction! The one I have is a single USB socket, not a double. It is fixed to the front of the case with a metal bracket and is connected to the mother board via a 5 core flexible cable and female connector.

Should it be of use to you email me with your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Gongoozler 11:37 14 Feb 07

They are available - e.g. click here, but aren't generally considered to be a retail item.

GrahamP 18:41 14 Feb 07

Spark6
Many thanks for the offer but one of the ports on this one is still working.

Gongoozler
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for though I was hoping to find one with motherboard header connections already attached. This one would require a bit of soldering which I'm not very good at. All in all I think I'm resigned to replacing it with a front panel hub.

Thanks to everyone.

GrahamP 19:42 14 Feb 07

While I had the connector out I tested for a continuous circuit between each of the pins and the end of the corresponding lead. Surprise, they were all good. The place I was testing on the motherboard end of the lead was the exposed metal on the back of each plastic single pin since the end was too narrow to get the multimeter lead in and I was pressing hard on it to maintain the connection. Which made me think.

So I got the needle nose pliers out and gave each of them a squeeze, connected it back up and it's working perfectly again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…