replacement cpu advice needed

pharte 21:40 30 Jul 05

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my cpu my specs are:

Board: MSI MS-6561 1.0 745 ultra socketA (MS-6561)sis 745 chipset board (designed for AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron processor)

bus clock 100mhz

1.30 gig AMD Athlon XP processor (Athlon xp2100+)

the booklet says it will support up to 1900+mhz cpu

I called in to pc world today and was told that an updated cpu wasn't made any more and to buy a new mainboard and cpu together.

Any advice anyone.....also I was told that if I replaced the cpu I didn't need to use the thermal grease ......

I'm confused..

Technotiger 21:50 30 Jul 05

Hi, these instructions should help - of course you need thermal paste when changing cpu.

click here

Good luck.

Cheers.

pharte 21:54 30 Jul 05

I'll file that for later.......any advise on the actual cpu that I can upgrade to ?

Technotiger 22:00 30 Jul 05

Not an expert on cpu's, but no doubt others will come on and give their advice too.

Cheers.

dan11 22:05 30 Jul 05

MSI say click here .Support Socket A (Socket 462) AMD® Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron processor up to 2000+MHz but all the links are none exsistant.

So, at a guess, it may take the XP2400+ cpu. This would be a 133Mhz bus with a 15X multiplier. Giving a 2.0Ghz clock speed.

dagwoood 22:23 30 Jul 05

To further confuse the issue, the Taiwanese MSI site click here says it'll take up to a 2600+.

Either way, as per dan11's post, a CPU with FSB of 266MHz should work. Here's a couple click here

HTH, dagwoood.

Belatucadrus 22:25 30 Jul 05

According to this list it'll take up to a Thoroughbred AthlonXP 2600+, but will not accept the newer Thornton or Barton cores, or a Sempron.
Retailers aren't going to carry this CPUs, you could try e-bay. But be sure that it has the 266MHz FSB. A brief look seems to indicate that they are scarce and priced accordingly, a MOBO CPU bundle could well be the better value option click here .

Belatucadrus 22:30 30 Jul 05

Sorry forgot to put in the link to "This list" click here

dagwoood 22:45 30 Jul 05

ignore my post as I think you board wont like mobile Bartons. I didn't notice the "CPU Support" link on the MSI site that Belatucadrus has now posted.

dan11 22:56 30 Jul 05

Belatucadrus ;-)

pharte 23:43 01 Aug 05

am going for a penty 4 and new mobo instead...I was talked into it and will get some cash back for my old ram etc so should be a reasonable deal all round

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…