Replacement components

meater 10:50 01 Feb 05

Hi there,
Do anybody know if Evesham and Emachines use unique parts like Dell and tiny computers, which they will not sell to you, or can you get replacement components elsewhere? Are there any reliable machines, which you can get replacement components? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

harps1h 11:18 01 Feb 05

most parts in a computer can be replaced from any source as long as they have compatability with the rest of your system. eg., if you have a agp graphics slot you cannot fit a pci-e graphics card. you mnay find that you may or may not get exactly the same part as is installed in your machine but then if you have to buy why not buy better

RealDopey 11:19 01 Feb 05

Looks like you found the bottom line of Dell an Tiny.

I've dealt with Eversham for over twenty years (Commodore64 days!), when they just had one small lockup shop! Never had a problem, very helpful even today when they are a lot bigger. Evrything I've bought has had branded goods inside, easily changed.

RealDopey 11:22 01 Feb 05

You ever tried buying a replacement mobo for a dell, and even better try and find something else that will fit their case?

harps1h 11:26 01 Feb 05

no i have never used dell, as i build my own. however if you reread the original thread you may find that the question was about evesham or emachines

RealDopey 11:43 01 Feb 05

Did not mean to sound rude, sorry.

I think meater, like me has at some time or other tried to buy a part from either Dell or Tiny. My experience was a quote from Dell of £450 to have the mobo changed, they would not supply the part. It was an unusual shape and had only one screw fixing with six keyhole slots. I ended up having to replace the case as well. At eighteen months old, it did'nt turn out to be such a bargian after all!

Jeffers22 12:23 01 Feb 05

emachines do have slightly strange insides - they are built CHEAP. Had trouble getting a second HDD in my daughter-in-law's emachines PC - no spare bay!! Evesham are as RealDopey says. So too are Watford and most of the major e-stores.

Jeffers22 12:25 01 Feb 05

I remember that little shop on the trading estate only too well. Went there in the early 80's to pick something up on a couple of occasions - but mine was for an Amstrad CPC 6128. Those were the days!

RealDopey 12:38 01 Feb 05

Yer after me bus pass!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…