replaced motherboard and processor, missing ROM dr

richierich 12:35 21 Feb 03

Have just put in new motherboard and athlon processor,
All drives show up in the black & white boot pages at the beginning but in windows, my computer neither cd or dvd drive shows up. Ihave tried swapping the connections round,

ie had Maid hard drive and cd on one connection and 2nd hard drive and dvd on another'
then
main hard drive and slave hard drive on one connection and the cd and the dvd on another but same thing.
As far as im aware the jumpers are correct.
any ideas please

menorcarob2 14:31 21 Feb 03

make sure that you have the master device on the end of the cable and recheck all the settings, as i have found some devices instructions pretty vague with regards as to what way up the device should be viewed to set the jumpers, also you could look in the bios and make sure that ide 1 and ide 2 are switch on as i have seen this on a system where it was possible to turn them off,

woodchip 14:59 21 Feb 03

Have you formatted and reinstalled windows, YOU NEED TO! then load the motherboard drivers

menorcarob2 15:16 21 Feb 03

i am fairly certain that all you need to do is connect the drives windows should do the rest, and you may possible need your mobo cdrom.

DieSse 15:40 21 Feb 03

woodchip is making a good suggestion here. The drivers from your old system will still all be in place, and probably interfering with the new drivers for the new motherboard. Whilst you can (and sometimes in an emergency, must) simply do the change, then sort it out - this is far from ideal.

Start up in safe mode, and look in device manager to see the huge mish-mash of drivers that are installed!!

Back up all your data and settings, then format and re-install is very sound advice to avoid hassle.

richierich 15:46 21 Feb 03

Thanks for all advice.
I have just reinstalled windows and it seems to be alright now.
I will try later to remove the not needed drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5