Replace wireless USB adapters with wireless NIC's?

Fatboy415 22:07 25 Aug 04

A colleague has installed an Evesham Home Wireless ADSL kit (part number HOMEADSLWLESSBUNDLE) which comprises an ADSL router and two wireless USB adapters. The whole setup works satisfactory however the signal strength on both PC’s is only on the first bar and is often reported as very weak even though he lives in a modest 3 bedroom detached house and the router is located about 10 foot from both machines. Moving the USB adapters from the bottom of the rear of the case to front made a marginal improvement.

Should I recommend to him that he ditches the USB adapters and buys a pair of proper wireless NIC’s with an aerial or will I be wasting his money?

All help appreciated as usual.

johnsims 23:33 25 Aug 04

Try sticking the USB adapters on the end of a USB extension cable and thus raise the end of the adapter above the PC case and see if that makes a difference. If you are like me you'll have a couple of spare USB cables or at least a couple you can "pinch" for the test. If that gives better reception, an arial on a NIC may provide a neater long term solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5