Replace System boot Hard drive?

jimd 17:37 22 Aug 04

Hi
I want to replace my existing system boot hard drive with a larger one. using windows XP home.
the existing c drive is a werstern digital drive 27.9GB and I want to replace it with a Maxtor 114GB drive that is already installed and working (K drive)but is empty.
what is the best /easiest way to do this?
I dont have partition magic or any program like that and want to avoid having to do a full reinstall of my progams if I can.

Thanks

AndySD 17:57 22 Aug 04
  jimd 18:00 22 Aug 04

Tried that , for some reason it refuses to run on my machine.
I get one of those silly "blah blah encountered a problem and has to close.... send an error report to microsoft windows etc"

pcgal 18:12 22 Aug 04

If it was me Jim I'd try to get my hands on norton ghost and simply clone the contents of your smaller drive to the larger drive.

Then simply re-jumper your large drive as master and the smaller drive as slave and then format the smaller drive for extra storage space.

And hey presto you've just kept everything as it was but swapped over the drives.

AndySD 18:16 22 Aug 04

Try the western digital version.

jimd 18:24 22 Aug 04

AndySD
tried that too, it runs but does not see the maxtor drive, I think because it is connected via a PCI card.

AndySD 18:27 22 Aug 04

Thats is probably exacly the reason ... can you attach the new drive as slave on the same IDE as the present drive and then try maxtor owd program again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:33 22 Aug 04

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017