replace side case duct for fan?

toon_mad 13:45 13 Nov 08

Hi, on my X-cruiser case ( click here ) on the side window i have blue vent, well ive removed it so currently there is just a hole where it went. Ive measured and it appears to be 80mm like the top and rear case fan.

Would i benefit more with that daft looking vent on the side, or getting a new 80mm side case fan? I was looking at click here

Cheers

DieSse 13:54 13 Nov 08

I've always thought the vents were a good idea - they should enable the processor fan to drag in cooler outside air, straight to the processor heatsink. IMO - stick with the vent/duct.

The fan in your link looks particularly cheap and nasty, and probably noisy too.

toon_mad 14:16 13 Nov 08

1) yeah that was a bad one, but then i saw some from thermaltake like click here and this (maybe naf?) click here and this from arctic click here

2) I thought with a good side fan (unlike the first link!) i could get a cooler air flow through the case. Also on the link to my case on the first post, it says my rear case fan is upgradeable to 120mm, could i simply replace it with a 120mm or does it need new fixtures?

3) Also, on my motherboard i noticed i have sockets for chassis fans, where and how would i connect a fan to these?

4) if it is more beneficial to keep the vent thing, where else could i put some fans?

Thanks

DieSse 14:27 13 Nov 08

"....where else could i put some fans?"

Why do you think you need any?

"....it says my rear case fan is upgradeable to 120mm, could i simply replace it with a 120mm or does it need new fixtures?"

Depends on whether they made holes for the 120mm fan fixings - you need to examine the case to see if they have.

Generally, if you have front and rear fans, you should be getting a reasonable flow of air through the case - putting an extra side fan mighr just disrupt that, and at worst make hotspots develop.

I would stick with the duct to the CPU.

If you fit a larger fan to the rear, get a quality, slow revving fan - makes things nice and quiter.

You can also get rubber mounting posts for fans to replace the bolts - helps stop vibration and again makes things quieter.

toon_mad 14:52 13 Nov 08

could i get some kind of sucker then, like the vent draws the cool air outside the case (i think), can you get anything similiar to a fan that sucks the hot air out the case?

Can you get fans for the north and south bridge? Im trying to overclock, after spartacus mentioned to get the safe limits etc, this friggin motherboard wont let me overclock, even the AI overclock's always result in the computer not posting past the bios, or halting in windows.

I mean reading other sites it states to reach 3.0Ghz with a kentsfield GO Q6600 is easy, well with this P5N-E SLI, thats a no hoper, 2.6Ghz seems too much a ask! Ive unlinked the fsb, ive tried:

fsb 1156 (289)
memory 667mhz
vcore 1.325v (tried lower and higher)
mem 2.1v
nbcore 1.39v (and 1.56v)

The overclocking on this is bad, even when i have this blue orb ii which was supposed to cool a lot better then the stock intel cooler. I saw somewhere that my motherboard, the Asus P5N-E SLI doesnt work well with the Q6600?!

...what to do :(

I am Spartacus 18:11 13 Nov 08

Take 2 sticks of RAM out just to see what results you get with trying to overclock the system with the remaining 2GB. 4 x 1GB sticks will redcue the potential for overclocking.

Your case appears to have an additional mounting for a 120mm fan at the back and I would follow DieSse advice and get a slow rotaional fan to reduce noise. The problem is that the mounting area isn't fully open and consists of lots of small holes and unless you dremel it out it will reduce the effect of the fan.

The LED fans you seem to like are generally designed to look good rather than have a decent airflow. Stick to normal, branded well made fans and look at click here for good examples

Even with better fans and the side case blow hole you won't drastically reduce the CPU temperatures without a decent heatsink.

I am Spartacus 18:20 13 Nov 08

P.S. You're making it extremely difficult to follow the plot by creating a new thread every time you think of something new. This is at least the 10th thread you've created for your PC.

MAT ALAN 18:21 13 Nov 08

can you get anything similiar to a fan that sucks the hot air out the case...

turn it round it will blow cold air in!!

toon_mad 19:12 13 Nov 08

"P.S. You're making it extremely difficult to follow the plot by creating a new thread every time you think of something new. This is at least the 10th thread you've created for your PC."

Sorry, its easier this way as most the threads get jarbled into something else.

Im going to look at a good 120mm rear case fan, if i need to do that, its not a problem. If anyone can reccomend a fan as DieSse said, and apart from the link you already posted, fire away. I think i remember you said sycthe ninja (or are they solely for the heatsink you mentioned before?). Im just looking for another solution, with the hassle i just had with the orb, im going to try and hang onto it for a while. Would a new heatsink fit straight on the brackets i screwed in for the orb? Maybe in a few weeks i was thinking of saving up and getting that 120 ultra extreme, and be done with. For now, im looking for extra cooling options.

In regard to the overclocking:

Ive currently got to 3Ghz before i noticed your posts, this is setup as so:

vcore 1.4v
mem auto
NB core auto
vcore offset auto
fsb 1333
mem 667mhz (still with the 4 sticks)
memory timings 4,4,4,12,1

Im averaging temps between 45c-55c, it can be fairly stable for an hour or so, but earlier i turned it all off, came back a few hours later and it wouldnt boot without halting. The next time if it crashes im going to remove 2 of the modules.

Cheers everyone

I am Spartacus 19:41 13 Nov 08

It may be easier for you to start a new thread, it's not for anyone else.

What is the VID for your CPU? You can get that from using Core Temp (link posted in one of the other threads). You should be able to hit a stable 3GHz without increasing the vcore or if you do only by a very small amount. e.g. VID = 1.3175 then 1.3275 should be OK.

I would not be setting a vcore 1.4v with an average heatsink.

Are you saying your maximum temperature with Prime95 after an hour (at least) are no more than 55ºC or is that your average use temps?

It's very unlikely that the motherboard backplate could be used for another heatsink unless you're very lucky and a Noctua NH-U12P will fit.

toon_mad 21:51 13 Nov 08

my VID is 1.325v

ive only done around 45mins with prime95, after which the temps were around 57c or so average - it was the other day in which my temps were all over the place, i think it needs another test

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…