Replace PS2 keyboard with USB

Gary Wood 17:29 13 Feb 09

I have bought a new keyboard and mouse set and am having problems getting my computer to recognise it.

The original keyboard and mouse were PS2.

I've enabled USB Legacy support in the BIOS, but it still reports that no keyboard is connected. I have the latest version of my BIOS, although it is quite old (Intel D845GEBV2).

It works fine once Windows starts, but it's frustrating not being able to access the BIOS or respond to any prompts during startup.

Can anyone suggest any way I can get this to work?

Thanks,

Gary

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 13 Feb 09

I've enabled USB Legacy support in the BIOS

Did you save and exit F10 after enabling?

sometimes BIOS needs clearing and setting to defaults and then make the change before it takes effect.

Gary Wood 17:42 13 Feb 09

Thanks, Fruit Bat.

Yes, I saved the settings on exit, and I've double checked the BIOS since. When my computer first starts up it says Legacy Support for USB is enabled and that it's detected a legacy keyboard, but then it says "Keyboard Error".

It will start up OK into Windows, but I really need keyboard support outside Windows.

Stuartli 17:48 13 Feb 09

Presuming that this is a wireless mouse and keyboard set, have you checked that each has a dedicated channel and not sharing one channel?

You normally have to go through a set routine to assign the channels for each device.

Gary Wood 17:59 13 Feb 09

Thanks, Stuartli.

I haven't changed any frequencies, but then I can't find an option to. It all works fine in Windows, though, doesn't that indicate that there can't be a conflict?

Gary Wood 22:31 13 Feb 09

Following my last post - I've tried connecting a wired USB keyboard and it doesn't work either, so that issue can't be to do with frequencies.

I've also tried my new wireless keyboard/mouse set on another computer and it works fine there, so whatever is causing this issue does seem to be a BIOS issue.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try?

Gary

Stuartli 00:09 14 Feb 09

I suspect that your problem lies with USB legacy support. See:

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 00:16 14 Feb 09

..my Bios configuration and USB Device Legacy Support is Disabled.

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard set (at least the third in the past five or six years).

Gary Wood 11:36 14 Feb 09

Stuartli,

Thanks for your further reply. I've checked again in my BIOS and USB Legacy support is enabled. I have two options, enabled or disabled, and it doesn't work at either setting.

I'm sure it should work when it's enabled, according to what I've read online and at the links you gave me above.

Do you think there's anything I can do to make it work, or shall I give up and take the keyboard back?

Gary

gazzaho 11:53 14 Feb 09

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but I'm wondering if you are in fact having a problem at all, the reason I say this is during boot up on my Vista desktop machine my USB keyboard switches itself on and off at least twice and the only reason I know this is that it's back lit, when the lights go out it doesn't work, in fact most of the boot time it's switched off. Have you tried hitting the BIOS access key repeatedly to see if it enters the BIOS, or F8 to see if it enters safe mode options screen? It's just a thought.

If you can borrow another keyboard it might allow you to determine if the one you have is really causing problems.

Gary Wood 12:01 14 Feb 09

gazzaho,

When I bought the keyboard and mouse earlier this week and first connected it, I got a "Keyboard Error" message at POST. Windows continued to load and the keyboard and mouse then worked.

I restarted the computer to see if I could access the BIOS by pressing DEL during startup: it didn't work. Also, I can't press F8 to access the Windows boot options.

I've tried using my new keyboard/mouse on another computer and it works fine there, so the problem seems to have something to do with my BIOS.

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…