Replace PATA HDD

onthelimit1 14 Jun 11
Answered

PC has a failing Seagate HDD, but still boots. Intend to replace with another, larger Seagate and use the Acronis clone prog that can be downloaded from their site.

Question. How should the jumpers be set before cloning. Thanks, I'm sure I'm just being dull (but haven't had to do this with PATAs before).

johndrew 14 Jun 11
Answer

I think the source (existing C: drive) should be Master and the 'new' drive Slave. After cloning you will need to reset the jumpers to make the new HDD Master and the old Slave.

Another option would be to simply make a full backup image on an external drive and then fit the new HDD with the jumper set to Master (remove the old HDD of course), boot from the Acronis disk and Restore to the new drive. This may well be quicker/easier overall.

onthelimit1 14 Jun 11

Thanks, I thought that may have been the case. No Acronis CD as I'd be using the stripped download from Seagate.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message