replace non-empty D92 ink cartridge

User-1300280 22:05 13 Oct 08

I have a D92 printer and have purchased cleaning cartridge, as I keep having to run the print head cleaner utility. The ink is not, it seems, expended.
my Epson D92 on-line manual says

Note:You can only replace an ink cartridge by using the printer buttons when an ink cartridge is expended.

For non expended ink cartridge [cleaning cartridge] it seems I need to use the computer BUT I get the message that there is a communication problem between the printer and my computer, and it will not let me replace the cartridge. There are no on-screen instructions for replacing the ink cartridge. I have checked all connections and made sure all devices are on, and the printer does still print the test page or other text. It just will not allow replacement of non expended cartridge with cleaning cartridge..

Can you help me? I am sure Epson will not help, since I am using compatible cartridges.

Woolwell 23:50 13 Oct 08

One of the drawbacks of using some brands of compatible cartridges is that you have to keep cleaning the print heads. Since this uses ink then it is debatable whether there is a saving.

You have checked the connections which is the obvious thing to do. Have you powered both the computer and printer down and switched on again?

Failing that you may have a corrupt driver and an uninstall and re-install may work.

BT 08:23 14 Oct 08

You can change a cartridge without using the buttons. See my reply on this thread

click here

mandydog 09:03 14 Oct 08

I have tried using the 'Replace Cartridge' button in the Maintenance section of the Printing Preferences Box.
I get the message that there is a communication problem between the printer and my computer, and it will not let me replace the cartridge. It still prints OK. I have checked all connections and made sure all devices are on, and the printer does still print the test page or other text. It just will not allow replacement of non expended cartridge with cleaning cartridge..

mandydog 09:07 14 Oct 08

PS to the last message
I had the computer and printer switched off overnight. The replace cartridge button still claims there is a communication problem.

If I need to re-install the driver, how do I uninstall the old one, and how do I know the one I download is up to date.?

Woolwell 14:53 14 Oct 08

Which OS?

The latest drivers will be on the Epson website.

BT 16:32 14 Oct 08

I, and I believe many other people have had problems with the drivers etc. on the supplied disc. The drivers on the Epson download page do work OK.
Try using a different USB lead if you are having communication problems, and possibly a different USB socket on your computer.

If you want to uninstall you can find an uninstall option in the Epson folder in the All programs list in the Start menu, of in Add & Remove programs in Control Panel

mandydog 23:24 14 Oct 08

os is XP with service pack 3. I do not beleive I really have a communication problem , as the printer successfully prints files.

rdave13 23:51 14 Oct 08

Have xp Sp3 and just done the 'replace cartridge'.
Control panel > Printers and other hardware > Printers and Faxes. Right click printer D92 series > Printing preferences > maintenance tab > click on ink cartridge replacement icon and click next to follow the sequence to replace cartridge. Worked ok. If it doesn't for you then may I suggest uninstalling, running something like Ccleaner, rebooting and a reinstall from your disc supplied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…