Replace my Hard Drive running Windows XP

Pete 60 13:49 29 Sep 06

I am sure this has been covered many times before however a search hasn`t revealed it. I want to replace my hard drive with a nice shiny new one but am not sure of the implications of cloning the new drive with the old one as i am using Windows XP, any help would be appreciated.
The old drive will be re-formatted for use in another computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 29 Sep 06

1. will BIOS recognise your new hard drive (old machines BIOS can not see large drives above 127G)

If BIOS can see the new drive then connect as slave,
clone old drive to new drive, remove old drive, refit new rive as master and verything should work as before.

daxian 15:02 29 Sep 06

hi pete 60...
from what i remember ,the hard drive is one of the items "recorded" by the activation process...so you may need to reactivate once the job is done.
but its a simple process ,as long as your not like me and change things every other week ....they get a bit techy..and say ive exceeded the the number of times for reactivation.but they still activate it .Dave.

Pete 60 07:09 30 Sep 06

Thanks for the advice, i will give it a bash at the weekend

Batch 09:45 30 Sep 06

Just changing hard drives should not cause a problem with activation - the checks done require a combination of several key items to be changed before reactivation is required.

I've just swapped out 2 20GB HDDs for 2 80GB HDDs without a problem.

Fellsider 11:31 30 Sep 06

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…