Replace HDD.. How?

superspark 20:17 28 Dec 11

Can someone please advise me on this? I have an 18 month old Sony Vaio laptop that needs the HDD replacing. I have the recovery discs I made when I bought it. What is the proceedure for this please? Do I simply replace the HDD and then insert the recovery discs in numerical order or is there more to it than this?

Thanks very much.

rdave13 20:23 28 Dec 11

Replace the hard drive physically, boot up (you'll get the warning that no OS is found), place the first DVD in the optical drive, hold in the power button to safely shut down, Start the Laptop and when you get the 'boot from CD and press any key' option then do so. Follow the prompts. Good luck.

superspark 22:18 28 Dec 11

Thanks very much for your advice. I will be doing this in 2 days time.

Taff™ 08:05 29 Dec 11

Is the old drive completely dead? If not you can clone the drive to the new one and transfer all your data and operating system in one go. Of course you may want to start with a fresh install and then transfer your data back into the new set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…