replace hard drive help

davey emcee 14:11 04 Nov 09

Hello,I have a LaCie firewire connected external hard drive. The drive is a western digital 80gb wd800bb model.. eide/ata. It works fine, but nearly full. Can anyone suggest reasonably priced replacement around say the 320gb size.

woodchip 15:19 04 Nov 09

You could buy a Seagate and fit it in the caddy. click here

woodchip 15:21 04 Nov 09

Okay there are not Seagate but should work equally well

woodchip 15:27 04 Nov 09

If your PC is a Tower, why not fit it in that it would work faster and easier to fit

GaT7 15:32 04 Nov 09

IDE hard drives are relatively expensive, so I'd opt for a 500GB external SATA one - e.g. click here for £45.

A 320Gb IDE drive itself costs more click here, & is not guaranteed to work with your present enclosure. G

P.S.
List of external HDs click here

List of external portable HDs click here

GaT7 15:38 04 Nov 09

I agree with woodchip's latest suggestion.

Even better if you have SATA headers on the motherboard - 500GB SATA drives start at £35 click here.

No SATA headers, then you can get an external enclosure as mentioned above, or an internal SATA enclosure from £4 click here. G

GaT7 15:42 04 Nov 09

Sorry, skip the 'internal SATA enclosure' suggestion, as that will require a SATA header! G

davey emcee 21:44 04 Nov 09

Thanks for all your help. Judging by latest prices I think my best bet is to follow crossbow7's idea and buy a new usb external drive rather than update my LaCie 80gb.
Once again thanks all for suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…