replace floppy drive with hard drive

rumowdbor 18:47 07 Oct 06

My Medion PC is fast running out of storage space. I have 2 hard drives installed totaling 300gb but still need more. Can I remove my floppy drive & instal a 2.5" hard drive?
Or is a better option to instal a permanently linked external USB2 Drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 07 Oct 06

You cannot replace a floppy with a HDD floppy disk controller will not run a HDD port on motherboard wrong size

model No.?

How many IDE ports has the mother board got 1 or 2 ?
1 port = 2 drives on one cable
usually 2 HDD and 1 DVD rom drive + 1 DRDRW drive

are your drives SATA or PATA

Jackcoms 19:08 07 Oct 06

Let's look at this from another angle.

What on earth have you got which requires 300gig of space??!!

Do you really need it all?

pj123 20:55 07 Oct 06

Agree with Jackcoms.

What is it that you have causing you to be "fast running out of space"?

I have two computers and both of them have 2 x 160gb hard drives. I am nowhere near running out of space on either and at the moment I am doing an awful lot of video editing. I am in the process of copying all my Beta/VHS tapes to DVD.

woodchip 23:08 07 Oct 06

To fit extra Hard Drives you need a Promise PCI hard drive controller

Jak_1 00:50 08 Oct 06

Jackcoms
Let's look at this from another angle.

What on earth have you got which requires 300gig of space??!!

Do you really need it all?

Video takes up a lot of space etc. This is not the place to question someones needs!

Woodchip and Fruitbat are both correct, however you could also buy a caddy for a few pounds and fit an internal ide drive into that to give you the extra space or get an external drive. The caddy method is prob the best as you can swap drives in it and is the cheaper option.

phono 01:33 08 Oct 06

Your comment is of course quite correct but I also see merit in Jackcoms point of view.

Surely some, if not all of these files, could be burnt to CD or DVD to alleviate the problem.

Jak_1 01:46 08 Oct 06

I have 4 hdd's running, 2 x 160 GB, 1 x 250 GB and a 1 300 GB. All needed for use on a vpn. The total drive space used would mean an awful lot of DVD's to be burnt!

Jak_1 01:47 08 Oct 06

1 X300 GB, that should read, lol.

phono 01:48 08 Oct 06

I take your point and am not in disagreement, what are you using to back up all of that data?

Jak_1 02:03 08 Oct 06

Standby ide hdd's for use in the caddy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…