Replace existing DVD/CD-ROM with RW

Charlie Babbage 22:39 30 Nov 08

My friend has a Read Only DVD/CD drive.

She wants to burn photos to a CD. Is it still possible to buy a DVD/CD RW drive and, if so, any recommendations? The O/S is Win XP Professional SP2.

I have only looked quickly but most of the drives only seem to mention DVD eg Hewlett Packard (HP) DVD1060i-B 20x Internal SATA DVDRW Drive With Nero Software - see click here

Does that mean it will not burn to a CD?

Any other advice would also be appreciated

tullie 22:47 30 Nov 08

DVD Writers also read and write to CDs.

DieSse 23:17 30 Nov 08

You probably don't want a drive with a ATA interface, If your friend has only a non-writer type drive, then it's likely an older system with a standard PATA interface.

Loads of them around - eg

click here

Personally I always go for LG drives, as I found them more reliable.

Sea Urchin 23:19 30 Nov 08

Are you sure it does not write to CD - most drives can read/write to CD but may well not write to DVD.

DieSse 23:20 30 Nov 08

Loadsa cheap ones here

click here

DieSse 23:23 30 Nov 08

Better link to PATA ones only

click here

RobCharles1981 23:26 30 Nov 08

I got this one - works well.

click here(Black/Beige)%20-%20Retail

woodchip 00:12 01 Dec 08

Just check that connection on the drive is same as the old one, then set the jumper to same settings and fit

Stuartli 12:58 01 Dec 08

I always prefer to use a rewriter purely for burning purposes and a CD/DVD-ROM drive for software installation, playing audio CDs etc.

A rewriter is not as robust as a ROM drive as manufacturers' figures indicate and using a ROM drive for basic tasks will extend the former's lifespan.

If you decide to go down this route, you can use a three-way IDE cable; the rewriter should be jumpered as the Master and the ROM drive as the Slave.

Windows will Find New Hardware after installation of the drives and install the basic CDROM drivers, which is all that is required (a rewriter's operation is controlled by burning software such as Nero).

Stuartli 13:04 01 Dec 08

A ROM drive of either type won't burn disks....:-)

DieSse

ATA, PATA and IDE are descriptions of exactly the same thing.

Sea Urchin 13:11 01 Dec 08

.....I know that a CD ROM drive won't burn anything - I was merely checking if it is in fact read-only for CDs. My 5 year old PC has a drive which reads/writes CDs but only reads DVDs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…