Replace CD/DVD Drive

iscanut2 12:52 21 Apr 04

I need to replace a faulty CD Rom drive. I am no expert re hardware. Do I just remove the old and use same connectors to connect to the new one. Will existing Drive letter stay the same and will the same interrupts apply as at present, thus no conflicts. I think I also need to set jumpers to ensure that it is a slave but I don't have knowledge of Channels etc... can I do this in my ignorance or is it best left to an "expert" ?

Old Shep 13:34 21 Apr 04

I am like you - as green as grass when it comes to the inside of a computer. I was told it was easy to do so when mine broke I stumped up the courage to have a go. It was dead easy you just take the old one out and plug the new one in with the same leads. Did not have to do anything else and it works fine.Bought a Liteonit 52x32x52 rewritable by the way.

Totally-braindead 13:39 21 Apr 04

Only one thing to watch, the above advice is true but on the back of the old cdrom you will see a jumper, check to see what its set at ie master or slave and set your new drive to be the same, plug it in and away you go. The same is true whether you buy a cdrom, dvd or cdwriter. The drive letters will stay the same as long as you're taking the old drive out.

TomJerry 13:43 21 Apr 04

Maybe you can consider a dvd writer: 8x dual format dvd writer only cost £60 click here and the cd rewriter suggested by Old Shep cost £26

iscanut2 16:03 21 Apr 04

Thanks all...will give it a go !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…