Repeating Microsoft Update

johndrew 14:38 23 Dec 06

My daughter has just bought herself a laptop which has Windows XP Media edition on it. It obviously needed updating and all the security measures, so she connected to MS Update and the automatic update process took over.

Many updates were downloaded and installed, but one KB927978, insists on being installed repeatedly. She clicks on the yellow update icon, the window opens, she installs the update and a few seconds later the update icon appears again for the same update.

A check of the update history at the Microsoft site shows this update to have been installed about a dozen times.

KB927978 is something to do with XML which I don`t know for certain is on her PC. The only way of stopping the `nag` screen is to turn off automatic updates. Is there a way to stop the continuous update process? Is this update needed by the Media Edition of XP?

Thanks for any help in anticipation.

VoG II 14:48 23 Dec 06

Try this click here

johndrew 16:22 23 Dec 06

The `nag` appears to be fixed.

There are two `.....enu.log` files for this update in the C:\ folder which refuse to be deleted. Using a right click we have tried changing the protection but it comes straight back and says they are in use and cannot be deleted. I find this strange as usually .log files are easily deleted.

Have you any suggestions as to how they can be deleted?

VoG II 17:27 23 Dec 06

Try Unlocker click here

johndrew 10:11 24 Dec 06

Thanks again VoG™.

All now tidied up and resolved.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…