Repeater problem with Internet connection

TN 14:18 24 Oct 13

I am running Windows 7 Professional: I have a D-Link Talktalk Router modem (Model DSL2780)Connected by wire to my PC. I have recently purchased a Laptop to use in a room which the Wireless signal does not reach. To rectify this I bought a Repeater (Wireless-N model) which my laptop can connect to by wireless but cannot get a connection to the internet even when I move the Repeater to about 10 feet from the Modem/Router at the main PC. I have tried connecting the Repeater to the laptop with an Ethernet cable with the same results - it cannot connect to the Internet. For the past 8 days I have been trying everything under the sun with hints from various forums but not being 100% computer literate I have had no success. If anyone has a SIMPLE solution please help - it will be sincerely appreciated.

TN 14:19 24 Oct 13

I should have mentioned that I even tried connecting the laptop to the Repeater with an Ethernet connection but with the same result

woodchip 15:18 24 Oct 13

I use a TP-Link Extender there is a one button touch to connect to Router by Wireless then I can use it on extended range though speed is lower for laptop and netbook

TN 13:06 25 Oct 13

Thanks woodchip but I am afraid that I would have the same problem with any other Repeater (Extender) I feel that there is a setting in the Router which does not tally with that in Repeater but have no idea (a) what it is and (b) how to fix it!

retep888™ 13:30 25 Oct 13

The repeater/extender has to talk to the wireless router first,have you followed instructions & used your PC/Laptop to fully configure it? (the laptop connected to the repeater wired/wirelessly doesn't mean it can access internet)

I've configured quite a few Netgear repeater/extenders & the procedure was straight forward & easy. Netgear WN2000RPTv2 installation manual

TN 14:13 25 Oct 13

I followed the instructions to the letter but all I can see is the connection from laptop to repeater and then a red X between repeater and internet. Adversely when I try to see the Repeater from my PC I get messages that there are no connections to show.

retep888™ 15:19 25 Oct 13

<< all I can see is the connection from laptop to repeater and then a red X between repeater and internet >>

I don't think your repeater is connected/talking to the router, have you done the following procedures after the laptop is connected to repeater?

(1).Selecting the Wi-Fi network you would like to extend.

(2).Entering the security passphrase for the existing network.

(3).Choosing the name for your new Extender network.

(4).Connecting your wireless devices to your new Extender network.

What make/model is your extender/repeater?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…