Repeated restarts - can't get in XP OS to fix!!

DenverK 16:50 18 Feb 04

I set my PC up to go into safe mode but it will not get there, it gets almost there and then just restarts, it will continuosly do this until I power down the PC. What do I do?

I thought about loading up the PC from the XP CD backing up my work and doing a clean install but I don't really want to (takes too long). But if I did is it possible to load Win XP from the Cd to recover my work?

Or trying to get the PC not to go into safe mode and hoping that will sort it out, but the only way I know how to do this is by run..msconfic and uncheck the safe mode box, which I cant get to now becuase it keeps restarting before it gets into safe mode. Is there any other way I can get it to go to normal mode and hope that the restart thing stops?

Or has anyone any other advice/help or know whay this has happened?

Thanks in advance

Lozzy 16:53 18 Feb 04

Use the repair function on the XP CD. Boot into the CD then follow the on screen instructions for Repair

DenverK 18:52 18 Feb 04

no good, the CD won't do it, it's still trying to go into safe mode and then restarting even if it tries to go into the last known good startup.

Any ideas?

billyliv 19:17 18 Feb 04

Hi, Enter set up and set your first boot to CD/ ROM, Put your disc into the CD/ROM, Physically switch off and then on again. You can either do a repair , or, instal over the top. Cheers, Bill

billyliv 22:01 19 Feb 04

Hi,Wrong again, When you have set your first boot as CD/ROM, put your OS CD in and exit and save. Your machine will now boot from the CD. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…