repeated homepage hijacked

John-251129 11:29 10 Nov 04

Hi,

My home page keeps getting hijacked.
The "about:blank" displays a search page with a load of links.

I have run spybot s&d, spy subtract, cws... and they find problems, get rid of them but when I open IE and click on HOME it goes back to the "about blank" search page.

Also if I change the homepage (right click IE on desktop) to google (or anything else), exit out of tools/internet options, and go back in I find the homepage is #google (# and whatever I had set page to). Then if I try to open IE I get message " cannot find ###google make sure the path or internet address is correct.....""OK".
When I click OK it opens IE with a blank screen. If I then click on HOME I get the Home search page with all its rubbish. **NOTE all this happens while still ofline**.

With IE open if I change home page( to "whatever"), exit out of tools/internet options then go back in I find that my homepage is set to "res://wmxib.dll/url_error.html#whatever".
If I then close IE and reopen it my homepage is set to "about:blank" and displays that search page.

HELP

John

Gongoozler 11:37 10 Nov 04

If you are using Windows XP, you need to disable System Restore before you remove the home page hijacker, otherwise it reinstalls itself. Re-enable System Restore after disinfecting.

terryr48 12:13 10 Nov 04

run disc cleanup,Clear temp files, internet history files,cookies etc then rerun cws etc,restart and it should be gone.

John-251129 15:09 10 Nov 04

OS WIN98
I tried deleting waste bin,temp internet files, cookies, history, rebooting after running spybot/cws spysubtract etc....problem still occurs after opening IE.

Thanks

welshwizard712 15:36 10 Nov 04

does it run a search bar in your internet explorer or is it just a homepage hijack.

Caz ive had probs with My WebSearch in the past, which i found out was from Blubster P2P

Micro-Man 15:44 10 Nov 04

If its the Home Search Assistant hijack, see click here
and follow all the links to TomCoyote's forum,
Castle Cops, PCHell etc. or hope nellie2 looks in on your posting.

I cleaned a friends pc after reading all these postings.

VoG II 17:20 10 Nov 04

Make sure that Ad-aware click here is up to date then restart in Safe Mode click here and scan with Ad-aware.

If that doesn't fix it, please post a HijackThis log click here

You will need to post your log in chunks because of the 800 word limit on this site. Please double space it by adding a blank line every other line. The latest version of HijackThis can be downloaded from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…