Repeat startup

oak chip 20:45 02 Oct 06

Hi I have a problem with starting up my computer from cold. On switching it on it starts normally as far as the BIOS testing (normal single bleep). Then the usual black screen appears, the monitor displays "no signal", and the process starts over again. After several attempts at this I get the "windows failed to start - select last known good configuration...etc." Selecting this option makes no difference. In fact, doing nothing makes no difference. Eventually, after more false starts and re-starts we get to the log-on screen. Logging on takes several attempts - then all seems normal. From the initial 2-3 attempts at re-starting, over about 1 week this has got to 15 or more attempts to start. Is this likely to be poor connection on the power supply? Or is the power supply about to fail?? Any ideas? All suggestions gratefully received

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 02 Oct 06

HArd drive slow to spin up could be on its way out I suggest you back up ASAP.

Disable "Quick" boot or "Fast" boot in BIOS and see if you get an improvement

woodchip 21:10 02 Oct 06

I would say that the PSU is on it's way out, or you have got one that is not enough power. You may have added more hardware to cause this like extra drives etc. But it does sound like the PSU need to get warm before it will give full power. Looks like it is fading

woodchip 21:12 02 Oct 06

The resone for "windows failed to start" is that it is half loading when it stops

oak chip 21:21 02 Oct 06

Fruit Bat - thanks for this idea (I think??) - not sure if I can back up the complete drive - most data has been backed up - all the vital data anyway. If the "disk throughput" is slow is this another sign of early disc failure??

oak chip 21:31 02 Oct 06

woodchip - The other symptom I forgot to mention is that the mouse (which is a set of mouse/keyboard ) has been giving problems - the mouse & keyboard are remote and the base station needs to be nearer and nearer to them to work. They keep freezing and losing signal - re-install of software has not helped - would this be a symptom of failing power supply?? And yes, I have quite a lot of accessories added on - the pwer supply is a 350w unit several years old

woodchip 21:39 02 Oct 06

If the Keyboard Mouse are USB yes it could give trouble if power is down. 350 is not big by today’s standards. They do also get tired PSU's that is. A trip to PC world may be in order for a jeentec PSU about 550Watt

oak chip 22:07 02 Oct 06

woodchip - no, the connection is the standard PS/2 connection - but this uses the standard 5v power supply to power the mouse if you use a cable mouse. Also. I think the keyboard connection uses the same standard power voltage. The connection has a mains transformer input - but this is to charge the mouse batteries only (I know this having forgot to connect this when checking connections recently - the mouse worked, but batteries would not re-charge!!). The power unit has to power 2 hard drives; 2 CD/DVD drives, as well as the usual Motherboard, Graphic card, and an Audigy sound unit. The last is two cards plus a break-out box and needs its own 12v power supply (I had to piggy-back from one of the DVD drives. I suspect you are right about a tired PSU!!! Thanks

woodchip 22:10 02 Oct 06

Yes well that is where I would start checking, as it's the easiest to try first

oak chip 10:57 06 Oct 06

New power supply solved the problem! Thanks to all those who read my ramblings and took the time to help - most appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now