Repeat Activation Code

sicknote 06:43 17 Jan 07

Hi All,
Has anyone any info on why my Win XP pro keeps asking to be activated,this all seem to have started after i downloaded lastest updates from microsoft,My disc is a genuine OEM disc and nothing has been changed on the pc.
Many Thanks

wotbus@ 09:37 17 Jan 07

Have you activated it before?
It is possible you downloaded, with the updates, the Windows Validation Tool and now it's asking you to do just that.

sicknote 09:54 17 Jan 07

The system was activated Ok,it now keeps asking to be activated and i have 3 days to do this,i activated a few times until i had to fone customer service who reset it,after a few times switching pc off, it asks again to be activated in 3 days (2keys in righthand corner tab), this even happened after a reinstall,As its OEM software there is no customer support !

hope that makes sense

CurlyWhirly 16:22 18 Jan 07

"Has anyone any info on why my Win XP pro keeps asking to be activated,this all seem to have started after i downloaded lastest updates from microsoft"

Sicknote, I had a similar problem a few days ago!!!

click here

PC Bilbo 18:04 18 Jan 07

This is not unusual with Microsoft. I had this happen
on a brand new system I built and installed in an office using a brand new sealed copy of XP with COA.

Provided your copy of XP is genuine if you phone Microsoft and explain what is happening they will sort it out for you without hassle.

There have been numerous reports recently in various magazines of others experiencing the same problem as you have had.

Diversion 18:16 18 Jan 07

A product key has only so many activations, when those are used up you have phone Micrsoft up each time you re-install. And that product key only works once.

CurlyWhirly 20:06 18 Jan 07

"Provided your copy of XP is genuine if you phone Microsoft and explain what is happening they will sort it out for you without hassle."

I have had to do this twice and on BOTH occasions I have had NO hassle but the intriguing thing is how can Microsoft know that your copy of XP *is* genuine?

I *know* that mine is but how does Microsoft know if indeed they do and if they don't then they will be unwittingly giving out new activation codes to pirates!

CurlyWhirly 20:09 18 Jan 07

"A product key has only so many activations, when those are used up you have phone Microsoft up each time you re-install."

I *wasn't* re-installing as all I was doing was rebooting after a Microsoft Update!

In fact I have never re-installed Windows as I use drive imaging software if I run into a problem and this has worked for me so far.

sicknote 07:28 19 Jan 07

Microsoft were helpful reactivating software but i could not keep phoning every day,Problem has now been resolved by removing Sony Vegas 6.0 software,PC now runs great !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…