Repairing XP Pro from another HDD

gourmand 19:51 06 Jul 09

Advice please
Windows XP Media, MSI Mobo MS7309 Ver 1, Athlon 64 Dual Core 4850e, 4GB ddr2.
AVG internet security, Prevx CSI, Spybot S&D, AdAware, CCleaner.
I recently replaced my mobo and processor with the above after my original mobo died on what was a very stable setup for a couple of years. The new setup was working ok (but not as sweetly as before)for about a month until last week a message "windows cannot open due to a missing file *******, (unfortunately I did not make a note).
I tried all the usual things, safe mode, etc, but no luck. On restarting I would get the MSI banner screen and I did manage to get to the bios to channge the boot order to try and start from the windows disc, I had no luck with that so decided to reinstall over the existing system as I had most things backed up.
Installation would seem to be running ok but after about 5mins after the "copying files" stage reboot and go back to the "press any key to start" window.
I then cleared the cmos removed the graphics card etc but still no luck. I eventually decided to re-format my backup drive and do a clean installation on that with no problems.
(sorry its a bit "war and peace")
So really my question is if I now reconnect the original hard drive is it possible to reair the windows installation on that drive from the clean insallation on what is now the primary drive.
I hope that makes some sense and your help would be appreciated.

Adrian

MAT ALAN 19:56 06 Jul 09

If i read this right you have a GOOD CLEAN install on a backup drive and and you CANNOT install to your original primary drive i would say the drive is dying....

gourmand 20:13 06 Jul 09

Mat, you could well be right, but the SMART system had not hinted at any problems, recently defragged no strange noises. I would like to try and repair the original operating system installation if it is at all possible from another drive though.
I have not reconnected the original yet, at the very least If the drive is ok I will try and retrieve any stuff I can though.

MAT ALAN 20:43 06 Jul 09

depending on the make of HDD you could try a standalone diagnostic tool

bluto1 21:53 06 Jul 09

I respect what MATT ALAN has to say on this forum and would like to ask if he agrees that after a backup of files that gourmand needs to keep, he should go into BIOS , set for boot from CD and sort his problem out that way.

bluto1 21:56 06 Jul 09

Oops , sorry , but I've just re-read the start of this thread

DieSse 22:16 06 Jul 09

"I would like to try and repair the original operating system installation if it is at all possible from another drive though."

I've never read anywhere on how you might do that - and can think of many reasons why it shouldn't be possible.

I would keep the fresh install and transfer your work from the old drive - which may even be faulty. You can test it when you have your new working installation up and running.

gourmand 22:31 06 Jul 09

Thanks for your responses, I do have norton "disc doctor" I'll give that a try tomorrow. I am ok with the hardware bits but I just wondered if (assuming I can access the original disc) I could delete the registry and copy the one from the clean install, or something like that?

DieSse 22:35 06 Jul 09

"I just wondered if (assuming I can access the original disc) I could delete the registry and copy the one from the clean install, or something like that?"

It wouldn't work - the registry contains masses of very detailed information about your hardware and software setup. There's no way the software bits would be the same.

gourmand 22:39 06 Jul 09

okthanks, I'll plumb the original HDD in tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Many thanks for your advice.

howard64 10:03 07 Jul 09

I would suggest that while the disk is in as a slave you do a full not quick format. When you put this back in as the boot drive you should then have no trouble installing windows to it. I know this does not get the original system repaired but it will get rid of any saved problems on the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…