Repairing system file without a Windows disk

Mike D 17:21 16 Sep 09

I have been asked to look at a pc which has been infected with all sorts of baddies. I have managed to get the pc clean (I hope) but I now get a message stating that some system files have been replaced and to insert the Windows XP disk to get the originals back, however, it's only got a system restore floppy disk, which accesses a hidden partition to reformat and reinstall. It is XP Home and I only have an XP Pro disk. Would I be able to use this to repair the files?
Mike

Stuartli 17:26 16 Sep 09

No, but you could try ChkDsk (CheckDisk).

rawprawn 17:54 16 Sep 09

I think that you can use the XP Pro to repair, it's certainly worth atry.

birdface 18:09 16 Sep 09

Maybe try running sfc /scannow without the disc just to see if it works or not.

Sea Urchin 18:56 16 Sep 09

No, I don't think you can use an XP Pro disk to run a repair installation. But I have known an XP Pro disk to be used in conjunction with sfc /scannow on an XP Home system.

It's likely to ask for the XP Home disk - but if you click Retry each time it should get through satisfactorily.

Stuartli 23:05 16 Sep 09

You cannot use an XP Pro disk to undertake a Repair of a Home version.

This link may help you to use the i386 folder:

click here

Stuartli 23:07 16 Sep 09

>>You cannot use an XP Pro disk to undertake a Repair of a Home version.>>

Even more relevant in the case of an OEM installation, which is the reason for the link provided.

woodchip 23:53 16 Sep 09

Is there a i386 folder in Windows Explorer with all the windows Files and cabs, as you may be able to use this to do a repair

woodchip 23:59 16 Sep 09

Read click here

rawprawn 07:19 17 Sep 09

Thanks, I wasn't sure.

kalignorgna 10:06 17 Sep 09

worth checking if the missing files are downloadable from microsoft download centre click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017