Repairing monitor cable

Schopenhauer 07:23 19 Jun 08

I have two monitors, each with the same fault, there seems to be an intermittent break between the plug and the black cylinder, (which I believe is a suppressor) The cable is hard wired at the monitor end, so buying a new cable is ruled out.
I have electronic experience, so it would be relatively simple for me to obtain a plug, snip off the dud bit of cable and replace the plug. The problem is the suppressor which would have to come off too, because of its proximity to the plug. They don't seem to be available separately.
Does anyone know what the effect of doing away with the suppressor would be, please?
Derrick

crosstrainer 08:38 19 Jun 08

Frankly, not cost effective. If these are screw fit cables then I would simply replace them with new ones:

click here

Schopenhauer 09:46 19 Jun 08

As I said, the cables are hard wired at the monitor end, so replacement cables are not an option unless I dismantle the monitors, and I have heard horror stories about the riska involved in doing that.

chub_tor 10:13 19 Jun 08

You won't wreck the monitor by not having a "supressor" which is a ferrite collar/capacitors arrangement for filtering out interference. The worst that will happen is that you will get interference on the screen (provided you solder all the connections back in the correct order that is). But as you have two dud monitors why not take a chance with one of them. You will only be dealing with low signal strengths so no risk of damaged to yourself.

BUT be absolutely sure that you get the right wires connected to the right pins or you run the risk of damaging your graphics card.

amonra 17:03 19 Jun 08

No problem in chopping off the suppressor, slight possibility of interference, but what the heck...
Before you solder the leads back together, slide some shrink-down sleeving on one of the leads ready to insulate. Makes a far neater job than tape. Shrinkdown sleeving obtainable from Maplins or similar, quite inexpensive.

Switcher 17:38 19 Jun 08

It's a bit of a fiddly job if you are not used to that sort of work but it can be done, in my case lack of suppressor appeared to make no difference, I was careful to avoid tight bends in cable afterwards.

Diemmess 18:10 19 Jun 08

I think the R.F. filter is there to prevent your high frequency radiations affecting others' equipment.
It has been a requirement for some time of the American FCC to have this safeguard on any gizmo which can add to the general background 'polution with radio noise'.
A scanner is another example similarly 'silenced'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are using CRTs for monitors, it is only too easy to foul the data cable into an acute bend so that when the monitor is shoved as far back as possible the cable hits the wall behind.

wjrt 18:42 19 Jun 08

if you do have interference problems then this could help
click here

Schopenhauer 19:37 19 Jun 08

Thank you so muchfor all those responses. I'm encouraged to have a go now. Down to Maplin's for the kit tomorrow. I'll tick 'solved' for now but I'll come back and let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…