Repairing LAN connections.

SantasLittleHelper 20:43 06 Aug 06

Hi All, I use a router to connect to the internet, connected via a LAN port. If the need arises to repair the connection, after opening the network connections window and right clicking on the Local Area Connection I select "Repair" and the following message appears, "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be taken, Clearing The ARP Cache, for assistance contact the person who manages your network". Anyone any idea what it means?

ArrGee 21:16 06 Aug 06

Seeing that you are hardwired into your connection, the best suggestion (from myself) is to delete your original connection, and set up a new one.

ade.h 21:22 06 Aug 06

You cannot delete a connection if there is only one connection..... See? It's greyed out.

Clearing the ARP click here

click here

SantasLittleHelper 21:23 07 Aug 06

Many thanks for your help, will try the suggestion in the link.

SantasLittleHelper 21:39 07 Aug 06

Hi, tried as suggested in the link, it says "An interface with this name is not regitered with the router". Any ideas?

ade.h 22:07 07 Aug 06

Well, I guess that explains why the Repair function (which has limited capability, by the way) could not clear the ARP cache.

It would be better to get at the root cause of why you need to repair your LAN connection, because to do anything else is just a bandaid solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…