Repairing IE6/OE6?

TonyV 20:22 11 Aug 05

I've looked at the old responses to a similar question and tried to do what they said about searching for ie.inf and installing IE6 again via this route. The only thing is, I do not have a file ie.inf! I have looked in C:/Windows/inf but there is no file. There is no file on my C drive. I have looked within the hidden files as well. Where can it have gone?

Thanks

TonyV

VoG II 20:23 11 Aug 05

THere are other methods click here

TonyV 20:30 11 Aug 05

Thanks for your speedy response. I have actually seen something very similar to the link you put forward. The alternative method for XP using "sfc /scannow" worried me a wee bit because I think there is some tie up with how up-to-date your Windows/IE system is and that you have to make sure that you then reinstall all the updates that have gone in automatically! This came from a Microsoft site from one of the earlier questions on the same topic.

TonyV

VoG II 20:32 11 Aug 05

No you don't have to reinstall any updates.

Have a read click here

TonyV 20:37 11 Aug 05

I will have a look what is said, but for interest have a look at this link from the previous run of this question click here. Thanks

TonyV

VoG II 20:39 11 Aug 05

If you follow

3. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Then you do need to reinstall updates.

Using sfc /scannow you don't.

TonyV 20:44 11 Aug 05

Many thanks. It was just the comment in the Summary that was putting me off!
I'll tick this now and many thanks.
TonyV

TonyV 20:41 12 Aug 05

I've managed to try the sfc /scannow system today and everything seems fine. Another small problem bites the dust! Many thanks.

TonyV

VoG II 20:44 12 Aug 05

Excellent!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac